Do you have feedback for Skip-Bo Android?

cards often don't leave the board after reaching 12. sometimes will shift so that piles start at 2 or 3 instead of 1. This gets confusing.

seems to be some sort of glitch. games start with normal piles but after a while piles will leave board at 1 or 2 instead of 12 and piles will start on 2 or 3 instead of 1.

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
anon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminMagmic (Support Team, Magmic) responded  · 

Thank you for reaching out to let us know about this issue. I will pass your information on to the developers to investigate. We will do whatever we can to identify and fix the issue.

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • scarnold2013 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will the problem with piles reaching 12 and starting over going to be fixed? It's been months since it's been reported and I see I'm not the only one who has reported it. It's very annoying.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's better than when it would also reset the pile to empty when it would realize there were cards on top of a 12.

When you play VS the AI players, watch their hands. The leftmost one on Medium, with all three AI players on Medium, often gets dealt more than 5 cards, I've seen it get up to 8 cards.

These bugs are things programmers should learn to not do when they start out. If they were properly taught, they shouldn't be able to make such bugs without intentionally doing so as a demonstration of how a race condition causes trouble or how not properly monitoring variables and not setting up non-interruptible or non-maskable interrupts makes a program fail.

A race condition is when you have two or more processes going on simultaneously, and for the program to function correctly the processes must complete in a specific order, or one process must not interfere with another.

What appears to be going on is some process in Skip-Bo is running and the game is paying attention to it 'too well'. When that process is doing X, it 'blinds' or masks the code that is watching for the piles to reach 12. So when that code says "Hey, over here! TWELVE!" it gets ignored instead of the subroutine(s) to do the clearing animation and reset the pile variable to 0 or empty being jumped to.

What they have done is changed something to keep track of how many cards get stacked on top of a 12 so that when the game gets around to "Oh, I wasn't paying attention!" it clears out the 12 'cards' on the bottom of the pile and leaves the pile value at whatever is the highest card atop 12. A crude patch instead of a proper fix! It makes the card tracking work, for low values of 'work' but still leaves the visuals a mess.

If you want a terrifying read of how dangerous a software race condition can be, look up the report of what went wrong with the Therac 25 cancer treatment machines. Fortunately the people doing this game aren't writing code for medical equipment. *eek*

• Beth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here! It is really confusing and makes playing difficult and you end up wasting skip bo’s to see if the empty spot starts with a 2 or 5 or what number!

Feedback and Knowledge Base