Scattergories

How can we improve Scattergories?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Alternate Languages and Spelling!

For those not in America who use BE (British English) in many nations of the world, our correct answers can be marked wrong or auto corrected to something else! Obviously this is just English and different languages would be excellent too! In the mean time, would you mind submitting alternate spellings (but not
    as "separate" answers?")

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Admin →

The auto-correct will change alternative spellings (for instance gray – grey) as you’ve mentioned. Being Canadian myself I prefer the Queens English but couldn’t convince them to use it. Auto-correct only ever changes spellings to valid words in our database, so it will always at least be a correct word for that category.
      For regional words we can and will accept them if they fit on a case by case basis, so send in your disputes!

-Jordan

• Deleting forum posts

Wow. Looks like Scattergories deleted our posts complaining about the computer players! Has anyone else lost their coins too? I haven't played, came in to check forum and noticed coins are depleted. Just wow..

At this point, I don't even want to play the board game anymore!

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve been going through and answering forum posts. The only ones I deleted were abusive or did not belong in this thread. My apologies if one of yours was removed by accident. We have tracked down the issue with those players and are implementing a fix.

-Jordan

• Multiple answers

Is it possible to submit more than one answer per category?

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

There are some game modes that do this. The standard “Duel” and most game modes only allow one answer per category but there are a few that allow more. The missions I think do this.

-Jordan

• The Keyboard

When answering the question the keyboard lags and it is difficult to type fast as it often misses letters

3 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on our keyboard! Our development team is working hard to improve the keyboard so that players can type quickly and have all of their taps register. For the time being, I personally find that tapping a bit more slowly as I enter words seems to be beneficial. It’s not an ideal solution, but it might help while we work on getting the keyboard fixed!
            -Jordan

• 1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback! One ad plays between each full round of gameplay. Our advertising revenue allows us to provide ongoing support and development of the game, while keeping the game free for everyone. There is a Disable Ads add-on available in the store that removes video ads from the game. If you prefer, that option is there.

Thanks again for your feedback, which I will pass on to the team! We are always evaluating and tweaking frequency and length of ads.
              -Jordan

• How does going up a level work

I don't get how we go up each level? Is it counted as how many games you win or points? And what is the total to go up a level? It should state it in the game

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

You can see how much experience you’re gaining from matches on the results screen. There’s a bar that fills up and it shows above it how much your current XP is. The left end of the bar shows how much you need.
                I’m not sure exactly how the math is worked out for how much you gain and the designers aren’t saying.
                -Jordan

• If you make a rule stick to it!

I'm very tired of seeing blatant misspellings being accepted. I'm tired of opponents using the, a, and an and them being acceptable. You say use singular, yet you change answers to plurals. By the way, do you realize that the way you phrase your category titles grammatically would require a plural answer in most cases? Another peeve....stop being hypocritical. Example......in the Spices and Herbs category you use the word Spice in the title, yet, if I answer allspice, or any answer with the word spice, you asterisk it out due to spic. But you use it yourself in the title!…

8 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Misspellings could have slipped by our dispute agents and we are trying to maintain huge word lists. If you come across any that seem obviously wrong, please let support know the word and category. We can remove them.
                  As our app is rated 4+, we have incredibly strict guidelines for what is/isn’t appropriate. We use code to asterisk out any words and it applies to all non-valid words. So, if you dispute a word that had in part or in whole been censored and it is accepted, that word will no longer be censored at all.
                  -Jordan

• Crashing

On ad for Libman. Please fix, tired of losing coins

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

I am very sorry about that. If you experience any crashes from ads, please contact support and let them know the ad and the location you saw it.
                    -Jordan

• 19 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reaching out! The reason we don’t accept certain words is because the app is rated for everyone ages 4+. We have very strict guidelines around what types of words we can and can’t include, and we do our best to review words on an ongoing basis to ensure compliance. Sorry for the frustration!
                      -Jordan

• Opponents

Itd be nice to be able to add your friends as well and duel them instead of someone random

6 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

If you’ve connected to Facebook and your friends have connected to Facebook, you’ll be able to see them under the “Challenge Friends” menu. The button is near the bottom of the main menu. Tap the button and you’ll see a list of Facebook friends to choose from. They will only appear if they have installed the app and connected to Facebook.

You also need to ensure that your Facebook permissions are set to allow the app to see your friends list. Unfortunately we cannot control your Facebook privacy settings from our end, or from within the app. You can access your settings as described below.

On desktop:

1. While visiting Facebook, hit the little lock in the top right corner to open your privacy settings, and then go to “See more settings” at the bottom of that menu.
                        2. Click on “Apps” on the left, and then “Scattergories”. Ensure that…

• Original Scattergories Rules

It drives me crazy that one cannot play according to the original game rules where last names can be used first, followed by a common, allowing for more creative and challenging games.

4 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

We do allow last names to be used first but they are likely not all added to the database. Please dispute them if they don’t count and we’ll add them in.
                          -Jordan

• Stop Cheats/Dispute Others Answers

Cmon, it's a game people. Tired of people using the fact it's a computer game to cheat. For example, listed below, one opponent used June Bug several times in one round. How? By making plural, which isn't supposed to be accepted, as well as the new trend, adding spaces between words. Answers with more than one space between words, and plurals should be eliminated automatically, as well as allowing other players to dispute answers and/or block the user.

Junebug
                          June Bug
                          June Bugs
                          June Bug
                          June Bug.

9 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

You are absolutely correct and there should be no way for players to add spaces between/after words any longer.
                            June Bugs should auto-correct to “June Bug” now and count as a duplicate.
                            Thanks for letting us know (and sorry for the delayed response).
                            -Jordan

• Sound "off" in game settings should also apply to ads

I realize even when we pay to remove ads that we still get ads for bonus rounds, but can you make the "sound off" option also be effective for ads? (Regular ads, bonus-round ads, ALL ads).

I often play in bed when my husband or the baby are sleeping. I have the sound off in the game settings for this reason. I keep my phone volume up for my morning alarm clock (which I don't turn down during game play because I often play when I can't sleep. I've fallen asleep while playing before then I don't hear my alarm…

5 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

I am very sorry about that but these two are not linked. I know on my own phone I can have the device silent for everything but the alarm still be audible. Unfortunately that is the only thing I can think of for you to check. I will see if they can link them but the ads are supplied by other agencies and we cannot control them to that extent.

-Jordan

• UK option

A lot of UK names, places, breeds etc are not accepted as correct answers which can make it hard to play.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Non Facebook Person

I don't have Facebook - is this the only way I can play my friends? Bit harsh if so!

5 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

Currently our only method is through Facebook, I am sorry. Keep in mind Facebook is free to sign up for, so they could easily have accounts just for playing games.
                                  On another note we are looking in to other methods for multiplayer but I don’t think it would be arriving any time soon, sorry.
                                  -Jordan

• Bring back the Add to List Challenge!!!

Not that long, Scattergories had a free category (a new topic and all letters are usable) where one could type in as many answers as possible, disputing those that were no accepted. It was a free way for players to add to categories, get coins for disputed, unique answers and for the game to add to their database of answers. They had done so for "Vegetables", "Things that are Cold", "Landmarks" and "Drinks". First of all, I rarely see the player-created list used AND why aren't they using that method for new categories, like "Pro Wrestlers", "Coffee and Tea", "Horse…

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We really enjoyed them ourselves until we realised just how many disputes we had to sift through for categories that already have lists generated. Hopefully this is something we could bring back if we can ever get ahead of the disputes.
                                    -Jordan

• 3 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reaching out! If your submitted word doesn’t match a word that is already on the answer list, our auto-correct system will try to correct it to the closest match, in case you’ve made a typo. We implemented auto-correct to help with spelling errors but unfortunately the system sometimes doesn’t know its own strength. Our development team is working hard to refine it so that it doesn’t take a reasonable answer and change it to something else in this way: it’s a work in progress!

To help with this issue, you can now submit a dispute for the original answer that was auto-corrected. Just hit the ""dispute"" button on the results screen, and your original word will be submitted for review. We’ve added this new feature based on player feedback similar to yours.

In addition, here are some guidelines to abide by, in order to avoid triggering the…

When the app opens it takes too long to load. I try to play when I'm waiting fir coffee and it is too slow.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →
                                      • Make auto correct optional

I understand that some people like autocorrect if they are not strong spellers, especially with a time crunch. For others, though, it has changed correctly spelled words into others that are not fitting for the category. It's a nuisance for players. Instead of taking it away completely, it might be best to have it as optional so players can decide if they want to use it or not.

6 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

The auto-correct will ONLY change words to a correct word for the current category and only does so when the word you entered is not valid. There is intended to be a dispute button for these corrected words so you can get points for that category and still submit your word for inclusion but was accidentally removed. We are working to fix that as soon as we can.

-Jordan

• Still can't get my friends to show up in the app

Still can't get my friends to show up in the app, even though I clicked on their invite in Facebook. Scattergories starts, but only pulls up random people that I don't know.

5 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

If you’ve connected to Facebook and your friends have connected to Facebook, you’ll be able to see them under the ""Challenge Friends"" menu. The button is near the bottom of the main menu. Tap the button and you’ll see a list of Facebook friends to choose from. They will only appear if they have installed the app and connected to Facebook.

You also need to ensure that your Facebook permissions are set to allow the app to see your friends list. Unfortunately we cannot control your Facebook privacy settings from our end, or from within the app. You can access your settings as described below.

On desktop:

1. While visiting Facebook, hit the little lock in the top right corner to open your privacy settings, and then go to ""See more settings"" at the bottom of that menu.
                                            2. Click on ""Apps"" on the left, and then ""Scattergories"". Ensure that…

• Don't see your idea?

Scattergories

Feedback and Knowledge Base